Friday, September 25, 2009
budgets exonerate the rapist
i read an article about an SA survivor, who was a minor at the time of the rape, violently abducted, and left for dead. 20 years later she's found her voice, and thanks to DNA rape kits, her perpetrator might be 'fucked in the ass', to put it in technical legal jargon. an article like this would normally elicit a range of feelings in me, from excitement to satisfaction. after sitting in cold, sterile rooms with young, old, + mental illness, white collar, blue collar, educated, uneducated, undocumented, traumatized survivors during rape exams, wiping their tears and holding their hands as 'evidence is extracted' from their bodies by forensic nurses; as their bodies become crime scenes, and they are the only witness, required to tell in detail when and why and where and who and how this happened to her. and each time an exam is completed i felt a sense of relief, and hope. this evidence is going to put her perpetrator away, like the articles i read every other month on CNN about the forensic tests that identify and place judicial culpability on rapists... no matter how long ago he did it. what upsets me is that we laud the successes of these tests, yet our budgets cannot allow us to utilize this technology and ignore the statutes of limitations that hold the relief and hope that thousands of survivors in LA county in tact.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




So you don't know me, and I don't know you. At least not any more than the little rays I get from each post, but I've followed your blog avidly for as long as I've had one. I never thought to go as far as to write you, but tonight I couldn't help myself. The variety of thoughts, aspirations, and views I read on about caught me in this trance. Please forgive my the intrusion. Anywho, hoping to hear from you, Hiram.
ReplyDelete